Monday, November 06, 2017

Quilter's Recipe Box - Unit 11, Square in a Triangle

Here we are in the next to the last month already!  This year has flown by for me - so much going on that it's hard to keep up.  I am excited for another unit this month, so let's get to it!  This unit I am calling a square in a triangle (It can also be called Cat's Cradle).  It features a half square triangle with one solid half and one half that is pieced with a square in the corner.  Download the Recipe Card by clicking the image below and sew along with me!  It's really easy to do and goes fast!  The block is called Star Shadow:


For this block you will need:

Focus Fabric, Cut one 3 ½ inch square.

Color 2: Cut two squares 3 7/8 x 3 7/8. Cut in half diagonally for half square triangle units. Cut eight squares 2 x 2 inches. Cut four rectangles 2 x 3 ½ inches.

Color 3: Cut four squares 2 x 2 inches

Background Fabric: Cut four squares 2 3/8 x 2 3/8 inches. Cut in half diagonally both ways for half square triangle units. Cut eight squares 2 x 2 inches. Cut four rectangles 2 x 3 ½ inches.

Start by sewing one background 2 3/8 inch triangle to one side of each of the color 3 squares, like this:
Press the triangle out.
Then add the second triangle on the side with the point so that you end up with a triangle that has a square in the corner:
Trim off those dog ears and make them look nice!  Sew to the 3 7/8 inch Color 2 triangles.  I like to sew with the pieced half on top so I can make sure not to sew into the point of that square.
Press toward the solid triangle.
Lay these out as the corners of your block with the squares facing out.
Now sew your flying geese units.  You need to sew one with the background as the flying geese and one set with Color 2 as the flying geese.  Sew these into pairs so that Color 2 forms a chevron.
Lay these out as the sides of the block, with the chevron points facing the center.
Sew your block together and press.  See how the star in the center is framed by a shadow?  Pretty!

The fabrics are from the Island Batik Dotalicious line.  The background is an older Island Batik - I am sad to say that I am down to scraps of it now!  Sad to use up a fabric I love, but there are always wonderful new ones to try out for the next quilt.

Hope you enjoy making this block - and I also hope you will come back each Monday as I present more blocks using the Square in a Triangle Unit.

You can now purchase the complete pattern here in my Etsy Shop

Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

Barb said...

When I first saw that block I thought wow, that is just too complicated but when I saw how you had it done and laid it out....it is doable. Thanks so much