Monday, February 06, 2017

Quilter's Recipe Box Unit Two - Split Square

Are you ready to master another basic Quilt block recipe?  This month's unit is a split square.  It's really simple, just a square divided in half.  As always, you'll get the best results if you make sure your cutting and sewing are super accurate!
By using four split squares and four half square triangles you can create a Churn Dash (or Monkey Wrench) block!

You will need the following cuts of fabric:
Four triangles and four rectangles of colored fabric
Four triangles and four rectangles of background fabric plus one center square.

 For my batik version I am using a different color for my rectangles and making the center out of my background fabric.

After you sew your split square units and half square triangles, lay them out as above
And sew to make your block!  It won't take very long, I promise!  This is one of my favorite traditional blocks, and I feature it in two sizes in my Monkey Around Pattern.

You can purchase the entire set of recipe cards for Quilter's Recipe box in my Etsy shop

Have a wonderful week - send me a picture of your block, please!  I'd love to see them :)


No comments: