Saturday, August 13, 2016

Saturday Summary

This week felt like it went by really fast!  I've been struggling with a bit of lower back pain all week, it really flared up last Saturday so I've been trying to be careful not to make it worse.  A big pillow behind me in my chair in the living room helps, as well as remembering not to stay in one position for too long.  A bit of sitting, a bit of standing and moving, easy stretching and walking are the ticket.  With the Olympics on TV it is hard to remember to get up and move around, though!

The Quiltsy team is having their own kind of Olympic event - we are having a Jelly Roll Race challenge!  More than 36 of our team members have started making a quilt using the Jelly Roll Race pattern.  If you haven't heard of this, check out this video to see how it is done - it's a lot of fun and a super fast way to make a quilt top.  Here is a peak at my top with the backing fabric I am going to use:


Most of this week's sewing time was spent on getting some curtain panels sewn up.  This was a simple job, just 6 panels 130 inches long and one width of fabric.  No lining and the top will be clipped so it was just a matter of folding under 2 inches at the top for a heading.

By Thursday I had a big pile of alterations to work on, so I set myself down and made by way through all of that.  I hemmed three pair of pants, took in a sweatshirt, hemmed a linen dress and replaced zippers in two robes.  Then I rewarded myself with an afternoon of piecing!


Yesterday I went to Bunco - we had a lovely time on Diana's patio and I was a winner!  I got this beautiful teal butterfly Trivet (Pioneer Woman).  It will save me from ruining my lovely orange counter tops by putting hot pans on them.  (make sure you read that last sentence in a sarcastic tone...)  We had a wonderful lunch featuring roasted root veggies that were everyone's favorite dish.  So good!  Sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips, red onions and garlic.  I got the recipe to make for myself later.  After that, I worked on the next border for my feathered star quilt.  

My plan for today is to finish the last pieced border for this quilt so I can quilt it on Sunday.  Next week I'll be working on a slipcover for a chair as well as starting on visor holders.  Plus the Island Batik Seaside Summer Blog hop will be starting!  My fellow ambassador, Adelle, posted about it here.  There will be a giveaway on each blog on their day, plus Island Batik always hosts a big giveaway as well, so make sure you follow along and enter all of them.  You are going to love my quilt...it's a beauty!

Hope you have had a good week, enjoy the Olympics and remember to move your body often as well - we may not be Olympic competitors, but we need to take good care of our bodies so we can do the things we love!

No comments: