Saturday, June 25, 2016

Modern Batik Challenge Part One

I've been challenging myself to work on some of those projects that I got started, but never have finished up.  My sewing room drawers are full of these pockets of good intentions and it's time to work through some of them!  Some time ago I was given several books of decorator samples.  I managed to cut all the fabric out of the books and intended to use it to make a number of projects, one of them being zipper pouches.  I even ordered a bundle of zippers and intended to make a bag or two every week.  Well, only a few bags got made, then the rest of the supplies got ditched out of sight.  This week I determined to put those zippers to use and get pouches made.  I did a good job!

I even got them all photographed and listed in my Etsy shop - my Bags, Checkbooks and Wallets section is nice and full now!  I had fun mixing and matching the zipper colors to the fabrics.  Some of them are a little imaginative, but I figure there is no reason something useful can't be pretty and fun, too!

I made a total of 38 of these zipper pouches.  Most of them measure about 7 inches wide and 5 inches tall.  They are all lined with different cotton prints, so are nicely finished inside.  So many pretty prints and colors that I definitely can't pick a favorite.

Other than working on a couple of alteration projects and getting back into my exercise routine with my husband that was my week.  I did get out my picture to work out the quilting design for my Modern Batik Challenge with Island Batik.  I did some looking at a lot of quilts on Pinterest and came up with a starting point for the quilting.

My idea kind of revolved around the facets cut in a diamond.  So I started from there and added some of my favorite types of ideas - I like the contrast of plain lines and quilted areas so tried to incorporate that idea, and I always love a transparency effect and saw that occuring with the yellow squares.  We'll see how it looks in real life.  I got the top basted on Friday thinking I would get the quilting started on Sunday.

I worked all day at the quilt shop, but when I got home really wanted to start quilting this.  So, when my husband went out to mow the back yard, I headed for the sewing room.  Frozen pizza for dinner meant no cooking and I decided I'd put that time to good use and get started.  I got the center done and am happy with that:
And I got the bulk of the straight line quilting done as well.  This is pretty tedious as it all needs to be marked first.  Tomorrow I'll be doing the freemotion quilting around the center and in the channels.  I'm still thinking about what to do with some of the areas, but I'm sure I'll think of something interesting.  One of the things I really like about modern quilting is that you aren't constrained to the design of the top, but can do something a little out of the ordinary to make the quilt shine!  I'm using a light gray thread for my quilting, so it really doesn't stand out a lot.  I debated using a double batt, but really didn't want that much bulk in this quilt.  I think I will try that on a smaller quilt first.


So far I am enjoying this challenge - I hope the quilting will look as good as I want it to.  It's fun to step out of my box and do something a little out of the ordinary, and I am enjoying my foray into Modern quilts.

For more about this quilt see the following blog posts:
Modern Batik Challenge Part 2

No comments: