Monday, January 19, 2015

Off to a Busy Start

2015 has started out to be quite a busy year!  Seems like I have hardly had time to keep up with all my normal routines, much less do any blogging.  I hope to remedy that shortly!  I have a lot of things in my head that I want to accomplish this year, but haven't really had (or made) the time to sit down and put it all in writing so I can sort it out.

One thing I have been working on is Bonnie Hunter's 2014 Mystery - Grand Illusion.  I have just finished Step 2, and have all my blocks pieced.  I only need to finish the border units, then I'll be able to put the top together.  I probably won't have time to get to that until next week...sad!
I am loving this quilt and plan to finish it for my bed this spring.  I just adore the happy busy-ness of it!  Plus it is all from my stash - bonus!  I want to find a pretty backing for it that I can use for matching pillowcases. I generally like to make my bed with the pillows on top of the quilt, so pretty cases are a must for me.

I just finished a red and white custom table runner - here is the top:

 And the finished table runner:
I am really happy with the results of this project as well!  I made the original in blues and wintery colors, but I love it in reds!  It was a great custom request.

Tomorrow I have a sample to make for the quilt shop...this weekend is Oregon Garden and we are vending there.  So it's a must to bring some new kits and samples.  We are struggling to get done on time, but that's the way it is every year!  At least I will have the top done...at least if the day goes as planned.  We'll see how it goes.

Today I had a wedding dress to take in at the back zipper and a red bridesmaid dress that needed laces added to the back so it could close.  Those projects are finished as well.  I don't mind doing the alterations, but they do take away from my quilting time.  I've also been working on a lot of large curtain projects.  At least I get to sew, but again, it leaves less time for quilt related projects for me and leaves me antsy to get into my projects!

This year I have been setting my weekends aside for my own projects, however.  That is how I have made so much progress on the Grand Illusion Mystery!  I hope to get the top done this coming weekend, and maybe actually dig into my drawers and see what I want to get done this coming year.  I still haven't finished my last two UFO projects from 2014 and I would really like to cross those off the list as well.  So I suppose I need to make that list :)

I hope everyone else is getting some quilting done.  It's a good time of year to work on those projects, definitely indoor weather for a lot of us!   Of course, anytime is a good time for quilting, I think!


No comments: