Saturday, November 01, 2014

UFO Challenge for October - Candy Heart

I'm a little out of order (in more ways than one!), but since these are the pictures I have right now I am going to add this quilt to my blog now and hopefully get the September quilt tomorrow.

This was a complete top that I made for Threads That Bind as a sample for the strip class I taught as well as a set of Jelly Rolls that I cut.  I chose the fabrics in the strips to go with the fabric in the strip border at the top and bottom of the heart.  I like how it all works, a little different from my usual choices - quite vibrant!
I used Dream Poly batting in the request weight for the batting and Tula Pink Key Tree in Pink/red for the backing and binding.  I quilted the heart in a paisley design using Essential from Connecting threads.  I quilted the cream background in a small meander with Aurifil Cream thread.  The borders were quilted with another Essential thread in green using a spiral design, and the checkerboard was done in yellow and green Essential threads with a simple curve to echo the seams. I really loved how that came out:
Those curves did not look at all even when I did them, but once they were all done it looked really great!  I did have to go back when I was finished with this quilt and take care of a couple tucks that got worked into the paisley quilting.  Grr. Poly batting tends to be more of an issue for that than the cotton I usually use.  

This quilt is now available for sale in my Etsy Shop.  It measures 56 inches square and will make a nice lap quilt or wall hanging.  Candy Heart is made from my pattern that was published in Jelly Roll Inspiration.

This makes my tenth UFO for the year!  Woohoo!  Just two more to go....in November I will finish the Pink Embroidery quilt.  I have already got a head start on it since I decided to hand quilt it...I am using wool batting and I am in love!  When this one is done I plan to hand quilt a queen size for myself with this luscious batting.  So soft and luxurious feeling!  Don't forget to set your clocks back tonight...it's going to be lovely to sleep in :)

No comments: